Are you developing, manufacturing and delivering advanced therapies at scale? Do you want to develop your existing workforce? Are you looking for enthusiastic, committed and loyal staff? Apprenticeships could be what you are looking for.
Apprenticeships are an opportunity to upskill your existing workforce through quality training and assessment methods, as well as a route to recruit passionate talent into your organisation. Funding for apprenticeships is available for those who are eligible.
Broaden the skills within your workforce
Adding to the experience and knowledge of existing employees could help tackle potential skills shortages, providing you with the talent you need.
Increase the range of talent in your business
Offering apprenticeships is a new opportunity to bring fresh, enthusiastic talent into your organisation. Apprentices from diverse backgrounds and experiences will bring new ideas and skills with them.
Boost productivity, morale, and commitment
Evidence suggests that apprenticeships can improve staff satisfaction and loyalty, helping your organisation not only be a better place to work, but function more effectively.
What you need to know:
The following apprenticeship programmes have been established specifically within the advanced therapies industry and apprentices are currently being recruited into these roles by employer companies.
Laboratory Technician for ATMPs
Starting January 2020
Modern Apprenticeship In Life Sciences (ATMP)
SCQF Level 7 HNC in Applied Bio-Science SVQ Level 3 & core skills
Next cohort will start in September 2020
Regulatory Affairs Specialist For Advanced Therapies
Second cohort will start in September 2020
Senior Leader In Advanced Therapies
Level 7 occupational competence
Starting May 2020
ATMP Technician Scientist Higher Apprenticeship
Starting January 2020
Science Manufacturing Technician for ATMPs
Starting January 2020
Once the above programmes are established, focus will then be placed on further in-takes for these standards as well as other suitable programmes identified.
Are you interested in recruiting an apprentice or upskilling your workforce through apprenticeships? Contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
What will be expected of my business?
Off the job learning
As part of every apprenticeship programme, you must support your apprentice with 20% off the job learning time for the duration of the programme. This is a requirement; the apprentice cannot complete the apprenticeship without this support. You are investing time in talent, which will over time invest back into productivity.
This will enable them to focus on their studies, development and learning and equates to one day per week for a full-time employee, pro-rata for part time employees. Once formally enrolled on the programme, your chosen registered training provider will discuss this further with you and your apprentice.
Recruiting and employing an apprentice
Here are some considerations for recruiting and employing an apprentice. It is important to note that this guidance does not cover all aspects, these are initial consideration points only:
- You will need to ensure you have a genuine vacancy to attain the learning required to complete the apprentice standard. Follow your normal in-house approval processes for this
- Once you have agreed your recruitment and advertised through your normal methods, send your advert via e-mail to your training provider
- Vacancies will be posted on the National Apprenticeship Service (NAS) website by your training provider. This is a primary tool used by future apprentices and training providers and links are provided to employers to circulate to their networks.
For Levy Paying Employers
If you’re an employer with a wage bill over £3 million each year, you must pay the apprenticeship levy. These levy funds can be used to fund apprenticeships.
For Non-levy Paying Employers
Non-levy paying employers will share the cost of training and assessing their apprentices with government – this is called ‘co-investment’. From May 2017, you will pay 10% towards to the cost of apprenticeship training and government will pay the rest (90%), up to the funding band maximum. From April 2019 this will decrease to 5%, with the government paying the remaining 95%.
What can the funds be used for?
You can only use funds to pay for apprenticeship training and assessment for apprentices that work at least 50% of the time in England, and only up to the funding band maximum for that apprenticeship.
If the costs of training and assessment go over the funding band maximum, you will need to pay the difference with other funds from your own budget. You can find information on the funding bands per apprenticeship programme on the gov.uk website.
You can’t use funds in your account to pay for other costs associated with your apprentices (such as wages, statutory licenses to practice, travel and subsidiary costs, work placement programmes or the setting up of an apprenticeship programme). The levy will only fund the training and assessment of the apprenticeship and this is paid through the digital apprenticeship service account.
Download our PDF guides and recommended resources for more information on recruiting or supporting an apprentice
OFF THE JOB LEARNING FLOWCHART
OFF THE JOB LEARNING MYTHS
PROMPTING APPRENTICESHIPS ON YOUR COMPANY WEBPAGE – HINTS AND TIPS
HOW ATAC CAN SUPPORT YOU – OVERVIEW
What our employers say
Linda Randall, Executive Director, Biologics Development, Allergan Biologics Ltd:
“We truly believe we will develop critical skills for our own business and also support the strengthening of skills in ATMP development and commercialisation for the UK industry.”